Well, a rolling stone may gather no moss but I have found it can sometimes be a struggle to get the silly stone rolling. We have been in our city since February of this year. The first month was mainly spent trying to get our house in order. It sounds like a whole month would be plenty of time but you've never dealt with the bureaucracy that surrounds even the most mundane events. Carrying a bag into a store requires a search and sometimes a special slip of paper with permission. Thus said, that took us well into the month of March. At the same time, we were trying to figure out this city (have I mentioned that its huge). Even after living her so long there are many areas of the city we still haven't breached. But we did send our feelers out into the city and basically jumped at any chance to be involved with people from our city. Studies, classes, new ministries, etc. We really asked everyone we knew about ministries they knew of in the city. And we lifted our desires up to the Father. We asked him to show us his purposes and plans for our being in this city and not closer to the women we train.
All of that is to say that I finally feel that our stone is finally at the top of the hill and will soon start flying down the hill. Here are a few reasons:
1. KCF - Our church.
It is such a blessing to be able to say that yes, I have a church family here. We started attending this church the first week we arrived and I can't imagine going anywhere else. The songs are in Bangla, English, and Hindi. We have a special in each service where we all lift up specific needs. The sermons are very easy to follow but also thought provoking. Thanks to a group at church called C&C, I have been able to make some very good friends. Friends that care about my work and my life. It is nice to get to know people who are in the same life stage as me. Also, I am beginning to know more of the women of the church through a monthly women's meeting. It is a highlight of my week to spend time with the people there and be encouraged together.
2. Trainings
Our trainings are well underway. We are getting to the point where we are asking the women to take our teachings and share with their friends and neighbors. It will be exciting to see next month what they women have done. Also, we are looking for a female translator to help us because currently our boss translates. It is going fine but it would be nice to have an all lady class and we could also spend time visiting the ladies in their houses.
3. Sundorbon project
I do not remember if I have blogged about this project yet or not. So, here it goes. My team will be doing a community development project in an area south of the city closer to the ocean that was hit by a hurricane a few years ago. We will be building around 20 houses for families who houses are inadequate (tarp roofs, mud/thatch structures, etc. -they wouldn't survive another hurricane) I am excited for this project to get underway as we help both physical and eternal needs.
4. King's Kids
This is a ministry Sarah and I are really excited about the possibility of becoming more involved with during our time in the city. We hope to pick a day each week and go once a week.
5. Bangla
I really want to start improving in my language ability. I feel like I have really stagnated. We have one helper currently who is a believer but we need someone who is a M*slim background believer because there are a lot of different religious terms. It almost completely changes the language in some instances. We want to start telling stories and lifting things to the Father in Bangla.
6. Research
So, this part is a little boring but could be very beneficial in the future planning of ministry. I am helping to prepare documents on demographics for the areas we are working in. We will be able to know population size and number of believers down to the individual village. It will help us to see who has been reached and who we need to target.
7. The Great Possibility
This last project has not been approved yet, but I will say it would be super exciting and challenging but Sarah and I really want to take it on. We still need to discuss it with our supervisor .
So there you have it folks, the top 7 reasons I believe our time here is just about to take off. We have fourteen more months and there is so much I would like to see happen. I am hoping that we can use that time wisely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment