Wednesday, May 18, 2011

We All Need a Little Love

Sarah and I went to a new ministry (well new for us) today. Its a center for street children and its actually close enough to walk to from our house. Its a place where the kids can get away from the streets for awhile. They get to wash their clothes and take baths. They also get one meal everyday. We've been looking for things that we might be involved in during our time in the city when we aren't traveling. There is an abundance of possibilities related to ESL but neither of us really felt a desire for it. Also, our schedules can be pretty unpredictable so something that required us every day would not work either. Then, last week at our Bangla class at the university a fellow student heard us talking about wanting to be involved somewhere and suggested King's Kids.
So, Sarah and I went with our friend today. We walked into their building and met the lady who is charge of the ministry. Then just kind of fell into what others were doing. We were led into a room with about 20-30 kids of very differing ages (2-18). The kids were doing their "informal education" time. It looked like all they did was right the ABCs on chalkboards. Perhaps, if we go more often we can help to improve this time a little. Anyway, one girl who is 13 came and sat down next to me and Sarah and immediately rested her arm on my leg. Touch is such a big thing here. Men and women never touch but within same sex groups there can be a lot of hugging and touching. Its a sign of friendship. Within an hour of us being there, this girl had laid her head on my lap and was singing to me. During the course of the "school" time the kids kind of informally rotated who was nearest to us. It was nice to spend a few minutes learning some of their names. I tried to help them read English words and entertained them with writing in Bangla. One little boy decided to 1. practice writing English words and 2. help me learn Bangla. He would write a word in English and I would help him read it and then I would say the name in Bangla. He thoroughly enjoyed this little game he made up.
After "school" time, there is a time to play games. UNO seems to be the universal game. Though the rules can definitely be changed by whoever you are playing with. After the games it was time for lunch and then after lunch they leave to go back "home." I'm not sure many of them have homes. Though, they all do have parents and siblings.

First impressions
1. More spiritual based than the ministry in our language city. They have a time of worship each morning (we missed it today) and pray before lunch and before they all leave for the day. There are also many verses posted in English and Bangla around the rooms.
2. Less education. The other center we went to had a maximum number of girls and had volunteers who came every day to teach. The girls had books, notebooks, lessons, etc. Here as I mentioned before the kids had the ABCs. I am sure some of this has to do with financing.
3. LOVE and attention. Both places they need it. I just love getting to watch a kid's face light up because you sit down and want to talk to them. You want to listen to what they are thinking. You want to join them in what they are doing. And don't even get me started on hugs. I love them. Giving and getting.
4. The ministry here has more opportunity to gain access into these neighborhoods. The other ministry the girls came and went back home. This ministry the children come and leave but then in the afternoon/evenings, they go out into the streets and do some sort of medical ministry (don't really know what yet, we haven't been.) I just feel like because of the increased amount of time we will be here, we can get to know the neighborhoods and areas were the kids stay.

My guess is that this is the first of many blogs to come about this place. We'll see where HE leads.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really neat place. I can see you enjoying being there and meeting a great need in these kids life. Good luck with your time there. Seems like He has definitely found a place for you in your city.

    ReplyDelete