Saturday, May 14, 2011

Friends!

Friendships here start in so many different ways. You become friends with the people you work with because they are there. You are intentional about staying for tea after church with the hope that someone will come up and talk to you or not mind that you break up their conversation. You try to attend multiple meetings and try desperately to remember the names of the three girls sitting next to you even though a moment ago you could barely pronounce them.

However, my favorite thing about relationships here are the ones that simply happen. Perhaps things like this happen in the states as well but I just never really experienced it to the same degree. One day a group of my friends were in the mall and a girl walked up to us (white faces are an advantage here) and introduced herself. I got her phone number and gave her mine. Honestly, I did not really expect much to happen from that chance encounter, but a week later she called and we got together to talk. Since then, we have gotten together a few times and the last time she brought me special sweets from her home town. I feel like I literally stumbled into this relationship but I cannot help but feel like the Father has a purpose here.

This past week, I started going to the gym in our apartment complex. My very first time in the gym, it was just me and this one lady. When she saw me she got very excited and said, "Do you live in City High?" I responded hesitantly, "Yes." and she said, "and you are a foreigner?" I said, "I am an American." From that we struck up a short conversation about ourselves, what we do, where we are from, etc. Her husband is from France but she is from the country we live in. Then we went about our own business and worked out. There are a lot of people in my complex, so I didn't think I would really see her again. But the next night, the gym closed earlier than I thought it would. Instead of going back to my flat, I decided that the night breeze might be nice enough to run around on the lawn. And Guess What? She was there. So, we talked again and she invited me over to her house. We've talked twice (probably less than 30 minutes total) and she invited me to her house. I am supposed to visit her next week.

That is what I love about being here. I know that I am definitely not more outgoing here than I am in the states, but sometimes the Father just brings people into my path and I feel like I literally stumble upon them. Sometimes, I feel like I am failing at making friendships. Something so basic to humanity, right? But it just feels different here. It works itself out differently.

Some friends and I went to breakfast this morning and we were talking about how relationships happen here. As diverse as this city is, that is how many different ways you can start friendships here. Talking on the bus, waiting for an auto, walking at the mall, working out at your apartment, etc. Sometimes it does take time and sometimes you just fall right into it. I have been and will continue to talk to the Father about more moments like this. The author of the story knows all the characters.

1 comment:

  1. Melinda this was the nicest blog! I'm glad you're settling in and making friends, and seeing God move even in these smaller ways. What a blessing He is to us!

    ReplyDelete