Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Holy Cow!

Sarah and I have really been wanting to start working with some of the Muslims near our house. We live in an area that is near two holy sites and a mosque, so we knew it was a great community. It was so strange. I would talk with the father and say I really want to meet people. They are right outside my door but there were always so many "other" things to be done.
Well, a fellow worker made us pick a day. The night before we were to go out I was really nervous. Who were we supposed to meet? Was I just supposed to wonder around until someone came up to me? How was it all going to happen? So, the morning came and we asked the Father to be with us as we headed out. We began walking and I asked the Father to take us exactly where we needed to be because I had no clue what we were supposed to be doing. Our fellow worker decided we should go to one of the holy sites and ask some questions. As we were standing waiting for this worker to talk with some men across the street, I turned around and saw a huge side of beef. Now, usually this would have disgusted me and I would have turned right around and ignored it. Most of the people in my city revere cows and are vegetarians, but Muslims do not have laws against eating beef. As I was gawking, a women came to buy some beef. She was wearing none of the Hindu ornamentation and buying beef. I knew I should talk to her but what should I say. I was standing there staring at her and the beef and her and the beef and debating and arguing with myself and the Father. So finally I greeted her and then asked her if it was beef. I knew it was beef but you have to start somewhere, right? She said yes. Well, the conversation was at least started so I asked her if she lived nearby and told her I lived in that neighborhood. She said she was leaving the shop and that I should come with her to her relatives' house. WHAT WHAT? So, I asked if I could bring some friends with me. So we all went to this ladies families' house and there were probably 5+ women there. We were all so excited to meet each other. They were intrigued by the mehendi (decorative temporary tattoos) on our hands and asked us to come again. The live literally within a block of my house.

HE IS GOOD!

Please lift up these new ladies and the possibilities this could open up in their neighborhood. We want to be able to use mehendi to share about the truth.

1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic! I am lifting them/you up to the Father now. I will have to remember that too--it might come in handy :)

    ReplyDelete