Friday, April 15, 2011

I BLEED BLUE!!

I HAVE CAUGHT A FEVER HERE! IT MAKES ME DELIRIOUS! I HAVE CRICKET FEVER!

Before coming to the subcontinent I had absolutely no idea what cricket was. I knew it was a little like baseball, right? Well, during language it was all anyone talked about because the World Cup was coming to our country. I decided it would be a shame for me not to understand something so important so Sarah and I went with a friend to a game. Our friend explained all of the rules of the game. It was a great first game. Our team won by 10 wickets, which I'm sure means nothing to you but its the best way to win the game.
So, a few months passed and the World Cup descended on the subcontinent. 14 countries more than a month of games. I was caught the fever bad. I watched all of India's matches.
Group B
There were a lot of really close games but India came out on top in all but one. Still it was good enough to get them into the quarterfinals.
Quarterfinals
They had a pretty hard draw having to beat Australia (the former World Cup holders) but they did it.
Semi-finals
In the semi-finals, the game was quite political. India vs. Pakistan!! Both teams are really quality teams and it was another close match. People here went absolutely crazy when they won. There were fireworks, cherry bombs, dancing and merriment in the streets.
Finals
India vs. Sri Lanka!
Long game and Long story Short
INDIA WON THE WORLD CUP! The Indian captain hit a six (the equivalent of a homerun) to win the game and Sarah and I lept from our chairs screaming. Then of course we quickly ran downstairs to join the 1.2 billion Indians celebrating.

The world cup came back to India after 28 years and they are the first hosting team to win the cup on their own soil.

Here is a small glimpse of the party after the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment