Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Days Are Full

I have sat down to write this blog countless times in the last 10 days. I arrived in South Asia very late in the evening on the 5th of October. From that moment on my days have been filled with new experiences.
1. Buying New Clothes
We fell upon our beds at about 3:30 am the night we arrived and the next morning we headed out to a local market to buy new clothes. Did I mention that this move involves a whole new wardrobe? I was quickly overwhelmed by all of the choices. So many different patterns all in the same style of shirt. The style has been decided for you but the array of patterns are as diverse as the 1 billion people here. Oh, and of course, there are no dressing rooms. You just try the shirts on over the clothes you are already wearing. At the end of the day, I came away with a full salwar suit and a kurta (shirt).
2. Taking an auto rickshaw
The first time we went out to get an auto rickshaw it started raining. So, there we were standing in the rain trying to do something we had no experience in. It made me laugh! :) The only thing we knew how to say was the name of our destination. PTL, we found an autowalla fairly quickly who would take as and at the meter price! I felt so successful. We have now become quite proficient in taking autos all over the city. One night after having dinner with a friend in this city, I even caught an auto across town and directed him back to our flat all by myself. First, conquering auto rickshaws. Second, the world!
3. Squash!
I had no concept of what a squash match was before coming to this city. We went to see at least three matches. It was so interesting. The last match was Guernsey vs. England. It was so much fun to hear the cheering. There was an adorable family with six kids right behind me and they were definitely for England. Well, some of my friends decided to cheer for Guernsey (the obvious underdogs). It was a riot. After that match, we got our picture taken with the Guernsey team and started a bit of a spectacle. People came down from the stands to take pictures of the crazy Americans with the squash athletes. :) Here is a picture of the court.

4. The poor
He said they would always be with us. I struggle to know what to do. How can I say no? How can I say yes? Their eyes are unforgettable especially the children.
5. Yarping in the Dark Places
Since arriving I have been to at least five places where people worship gods other than the Father. Temples, gurudwaras, mosques, shrines, rivers. The scenes are heartbreaking. Ringing bells, reciting prayers, crying out. Attempting to get a god of stone or a prophet to hear you. Cleansing yourself in a river polluted with trash because it is supposed to bring life. The darkness can be overwhelming. Its then that we must start lifting up these people trying to find salvation. Our Father has blessed me with the opportunity to share stories of his Son with people around here. Mainly, I have been praying that somehow they will see the futility of their actions.6. Karaoke
Yes, you heard that right. My first karaoke experience was right here in this city. It was a hilarious night. I am so glad I got to be a part of it.
I really wish I could give you all a moment by moment update of my life here. Unfortunately, that is impossible. I can't even seem to journal everyday. I do hope you have enjoyed these snippets of life here so far.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! And you. I'm so glad you're enjoying it and learning lots. :)

    ReplyDelete