Friday, September 30, 2011

Building Your God a Home

Its midnight right now. I'm sitting listening to the sounds of pounding hammers and saws beneath my window. You see my city is expecting a very important visitor in the next few days. A goddess, actually. So, they are currently constructing one of the thousand houses scatter throughout the city for her below in the space between the two buildings. As many of you know, I grew up in a ridiculously small and quiet community so I loathe noise especially at night.

But as I went out onto my balcony to look upon them with disdain, I instead felt the deepest sense of sadness and pity as I saw these men furiously working through the night away from their families for a goddess who will never actually come. She can't hear the blaring music they will play for her. Or the bells they will ring. She does not care about the prayers they fervently wish she will answer. She does not know if they built her a house or not. She does not live or breath. Over 15 million people in my state alone are in a tizzy to please this goddess who has no power.

I don't even know how to express it. I just feel sad. The lights are colorful and the buildings they are building are very ornate but its fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment