Saturday, January 8, 2011

A glorious but uncertain game

Cricket! Who knew this sport was so popular? I have had more discussions about this sport in the last month than I have ever had in my life. The Cricket World Cup is coming to this city in February or March and it's a HUGE deal! Well, Sarah and I decided that we knew nothing about this amazing sport so we asked our teacher and a from school about it. Our teacher said, "This is cricket, it is a glorious but uncertain game." (very helpful). Our friend decided that the best way to learn about cricket was to go to a game and he was already planning on going to a game that next week. So, it was decided that Sarah and I would go to our first cricket match.
I was so excited! I love seeing sports events live and to have it be a new sport that I had heard so much about was awesome. The cricket game started at 9 or 10 in the morning and we left for the game at 12:30 after class. Cricket games are a full day event. We arrived and the game was half over but no worries we still had about three hours to go. Our friend sat between us and answered all of our questions about the game. I can now follow a game and discuss the outcome.
It was so much fun to see the excitement of the crowd. Our country played very well that day. At one point the crowd did the wave and it lasted for at least three minutes. Hilarious, there were vuvuzelas, whistles, cheering, painted faces and shirts, etc. I believe the cameraman's job was to find the few woman and the white people in the crowd and zoom in on them. At one point, the three of us were shown on national tv before he zoomed in on my blonde roommate. She was on national television for 30 seconds. EPIC! At the end of the day, our team won on wickets, which is a better way to win than to beat them by runs. It was so much fun as the crowd went wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment