Thursday, December 2, 2010
Girl Time!!!
Our language coordinator is very helpful! She has found a lot of consistent ways for us to be out in the community practicing language. My favorite has to be the girls community center we go to twice a week. The girls come, their clothes are washed, and they can play and have school. All of the girls live in the slums and many are from divorced families or families with more than one wife. These girls were chosen to come to this school. THEY ARE SO PRECIOUS. I love going and to be honest the girls and their teachers are very helpful with language. The teachers speak slowly to me and the girls speak simple Bangla. We play checkers, matching games, UNO, etc. They love to dance and sing. I got to color a picture the last time we went. Its a very relaxing learning environment. And now, the girls do their bangla homework and Sarah and I work on our bangla homework. The other day a first grader and I had the same word in our lesson. Yep, I'm in Class 1! In the picture below they were working on Christmas cards. They are all very artistic.
We also meet with a lady named Selena once a week. We've only met twice because of schedule conflicts. She takes us to interesting cultural sites and we try to speak Bangla. Last week we went to a famous building here in the city that dates back to the British Colonial period. It was cool to see some of the history. Below you will see a picture of the building. It looks like a capital building but no its just a massive house for a famous rich family. We even had our own private tour guides. No, they weren't part of the facility just some university students who decided we needed help. Thoughtful right? Regardless of how we tried they would not leave us alone. After our tour they asked to take our pictures. We are celebrities you know. Just another day living here. I tell Sarah all the time I don't want to move again. I really like this city and will miss it and the people a lot when we have to leave at the end of January.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment